Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

"To a Stranger in a Distant Country Hundreds of Years from Now"



 “I write poems for a stranger who will be born in some distant country hundreds of years from now.”

                                    Mary Oliver

I drum the steering wheel at a stop sign,
to an old favorite song – “For What It’s Worth” –
Buffalo Springfield speaking to me, telling me
that it’s time to ‘stop’ and ask ‘what’s that sound.’
My fingernails are just long enough
to tap good staccato time on the wheel of my Honda.
My eyes wish to close, to take in the undiluted
acoustic guitar on the stage of my dash-board,
but I am driving the car myself, after all,
this not being the future, where I’m sure my car
would drive itself, but 2016,
with a soundtrack of my choice and my eyes
scanning the highway for my exit.

We all do this, in the here and now,
keep physical time with songs we love,
as if we were participating in their performance,
anonymous auxiliary percussionists
in every car on the way to work,
an unseen community of musicians
banging leather wheels in Mercedes Benzes,
gadget-filled dashboards of police cars
with the indent of thumbs from Motown-loving cops,
and the beat-up pickup, with its torn steering-wheel cover,
ripped to shreds with age and Led Zeppelin.

I’m sure the future is better.
I’m sure you don’t have to pay as much attention
to the highway, the road, the pedals,
or even to the selection of music during your ride.
I bet that you, reader, with all the leisure you may enjoy,
all the independence you treasure
in your automated world,
that some primordial part of you yearns for a simple ride
with a favorite song, foot on the floor,
and dents in your wheel made
by that drummer whom you’ll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment