Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

"Imposter"


I would like to take this time to offer my sincerest apologies
to my first students – Freshmen English, 1997.

I was a fraud.
Sure I had read lots of books
and didn’t embarrass myself in graduate school.
But your adolescent posturing,
your theatrical sighs, missing verb exercises,
and varied attempts at coolness
mystified and paralyzed me.
I was staying one chapter ahead of you,
hoping for questions I knew the answers to.

I worked with cagey, gray-haired veteran teachers
who knew, as if by smell,
when to enforce the syllabus’s lateness policy
and when a boy’s eyes made the syllabus irrelevant.
Was I really not supposed to smile until Christmas?
Had I just signed a contract for $26,000 a year
to be miserable, or worse, to feign misery
even when I saw the occasional flicker of your understanding,
like houselights going on and off during a storm.

It’s easy for me now to answer the alarm,
tie my tie, carry my props with me
in this play I’ve grown to love
whose blocking and script never stay the same.

But to you, my first students,
so patient with my sad attempts at authority,
I say, “I’m sorry.”

I went into this job
thinking Beowulf and Hamlet
would be really hard to teach.
The truth is that any one of you
with untied shoes and questionable hygiene
is infinitely more complicated and mysterious
than anyone in any book
any English class has ever read.

I know this now.
You taught it to me.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds familiar...hmmm...

    I had no intention of lavishing praise on you with students around at NSYWC, but this is a terrific poem. (And I'm still using "terrific" as it was defined in the PreTrumpian Era.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you taking the time read and comment on the poem. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. gr8 piece jay. i love the theme of constant growth around the topic of professional development. i've read several pieces by accomplished, high level experts who note with some chagrin their relative incompetence of even a couple years ago. it's almost a yardstick which one can use to maintain pd momentum - if I'm no longer embarrassed by my performance of several years ago, that must indicate that i'm no longer adequately developing.

    having been one of your students informally, i doubt that any of them deserve an apology. your one chapter head start was enough to keep them learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Ed. Let's talk soon.

      Delete