Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

My Favorite Mythical American Hero


They march all day through Lexington and Fort Ticonderoga.
Half-boots land on dirt in time to “Yankee Doodle Dandy,”
muskets waiting to drink the powder that kills.
Their minds drift to wives sewing buttons by the hearth
and defeating the “royal brute,” King George III.
The rainwater soaks their ash-gray wool uniforms
but their knees reach high as the march continues.
Families from farmhouse windows
see them pass and marvel at their speed.
The Redcoats haven’t a chance, they think,
against these men under the command of Major Dickason.
The rain somehow seems to make them faster.

I open my eyes and hear it drip into my mug.
 “Pete’s Coffee” –
Link
“Major Dickason’s Blend: Dark Roast,”
enough to keep me fighting one more day.

No comments:

Post a Comment