Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

The Good Witch


I dedicate this poem during "Teacher Appreciate Week" to my third grade teacher, Mrs. Takis.  I entered third grade not being able to read.  Mrs. Takis's classroom was quiet, focused, and she guided us to excellence.  Every day of my teaching life and every book I enjoy is due to her.

*************************************************************

Black frizzie hair,
thick, bulbous nose,
 5’2,’’ 230 pounds,
eyes from a Hitchcock film,
Mrs. Takis meant business
and her business was the 3rd grade.

The room was gray and brown,
designed by the colorblind and the indifferent.
There were no birthday charts,
smiley faced figures
or cats hanging merrily on a tree
telling us to “hang in there.”
Just rows of desks standing at attention,
miniature closets for our tiny coats and lunchboxes,
and the smell of lead pencils,
thick pink erasers, and our own fear.

I was scared,
scared of being asked to read aloud
when words were still a mystery to me,
scared of feeling dumb in the face
of a woman who could smell ignorance
as it hid itself inside my big Red Sox hat.

On the first day of class
I leaned to my right
and joked with my friend Aaron
(who, amazingly, wasn’t picking his nose).
With her bat-like hearing
Mrs. Takis sensed the subtle sound waves
of the whisper from 20 feet away,
put her Broom-Hilda face inches from mine
and told me “NEVER TO TALK OUT OF TURN AGAIN!!!”

This was all on the first day of school,
long before she made sure I took home
my multiplication flash cards,
long before she would cup my hand in hers
as I practiced my cursive letters,
long before she praised me
after I read three words in a row
and moved me away from my friends
when real work needed to get done.
School was to be my business too –
a new idea.

By springtime, I was less scared of her
and even 30 years later
I can hear the feverish syncopation
of her heeled shoes echo in the hallway,
and her nicotine-stained voice
commanding me again –
“BE QUIET, OPEN YOUR BOOK, AND READ.”

2 comments:

  1. The reason this poem is so powerful is that you are not putting her on a pedestal. She is a real person with flaws, but also who did what she knew was best for kids and you were the beneficiary. Teachers tend to be hard on themselves (at least I am) when a lesson/project doesn't go perfectly. In the end, the kids are still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and commenting, Kerry. Mrs. Takis wasn't flashy and certainly was scary at times. But she is a good reminder to me that sometimes being strict and firm in the classroom can be both difficult AND what students need the most.

    ReplyDelete